The formation of the Grand Lodge of Scotland on November 30th 1736.
The appointment of the first Provincial Grand Master by Grand Lodge, Bro. Alexander Drummond the then Master of Lodge Greenock Kilwinning No. 12, in Scotland, with a commission to visit the Lodges in and around Greenock County.
Grand Lodge granted the first Charter to an overseas Lodge, and also to an overseas Province, “Gibraltar” which in 1924 was renamed ” Western Mediterranean “.
Bro. Colonel John Young of the 60th (Royal American) Regiment, appointed Scottish Provincial Grand Master for North America and the West Indies.
Scotch Lodge St. Andrew’s No. 102 constituted on the 17th November 1760.The first Scottish Lodge in Jamaica. It apparently originally met at Morant Bay in the Parish of St Thomas-in-the-East.
In May 1771 the Grand Lodge of Scotland addressed a letter to the Provincial Grand Master at Kingston, thus confirming the existence of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Jamaica, in 1771. No, further available records exist however, and it is possible that the only Scottish Craft Lodge in Jamaica, at that time, Lodge St. Andrew, constituted itself into a Provincial Grand Lodge when the need arose. In fact Bro. Archibald Edgar who was appointed Provincial Grand Master in 1780 and Bro. The Rev. Middleton Howard in 1788 were both listed as members of St. Andrew No. 102.
On the 20th November 1779, Bro. William Smellie, Master of Lodge St. Andrew 102, which apparently was then meeting in Liguanea, was given permission by the English Provincial Grand Master, Bro. Rear Admiral, Sir Peter Parker, to celebrate the Festival of St. Andrew at Half-Way-Tree on Tuesday the 30th November. This was the first recorded celebration of the Festival of St. Andrew in Jamaica.
Bro. Archibald Edgar was appointed Provincial Grand Master.
Bro. The Rev. Middleton Howard, Anglican Rector of the Church at St. Thomas in the East, Morant Bay, was appointed Provincial Grand Master. Nothing is in fact known of the operations of the Lodge of St. Andrew No.102, from the year 1779 when Right Worshipful Bro. William Smellie was last reported as Master, and the Lodge was subsequently erased in August 1816.
An interregnum, which described the period during which the Provincial Grand Lodge was theoretically in existence, but had no ruler, and there were no Scottish lodges, operating in the Island over this period.
First Book of Scottish Constitutions issued by the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
Bro. The Rev. William Godfrey Pollard Burton, Rector of the Church, St. Thomas-in -ye -Vale, Linstead, appointed Provincial Grand Master, in a revived Scottish Province, just prior to the charter of Lodge Elgin No. 415. Strangely enough, this Scottish Provincial Grand Master was a Mason from the English Constitution, and a member of Sussex Lodge, but was considered the moving spirit in the formation of Lodge Elgin.
Lodge Elgin was chartered on the 2nd December 1844 as no. 415. It met at Linstead and was later renumbered 344. It lapsed in 1864 and was erased in August 1881. The Charter was belatedly returned to Grand Lodge by District Grand Secretary and reported in the Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Scotland in 1916.
The Glenlyon Lodge No. 417,was chartered on the 1st December 1845, later renumbered 346. The Lodge was named after the then, 67th Grand Master Mason, George Augustus, Lord Glenlyon, the 6th Duke of Athole, who occupied the Chair, (1843-1864), the longest reigning Grand Master Mason. All the founders were members of the Royal Lodge, now 207 E.C. This is the oldest surviving Scottish Lodge in Jamaica, and along with the Royal Lodge No 207 E.C., which is the oldest surviving English Lodge, both these Lodges are working well.
The Glenlyon Lodge has the oldest Royal Arch Chapter outside of Scotland named after it, the Royal Arch Chapter having been chartered in 1846, one year after the Lodge was chartered. Twenty-five years ago on the 17th December 1971, the Lodge & Council and Cryptic Council attached to the Royal Arch Chapter were also chartered and were later consecrated on the 21st June 1972.
Bro. Dr. James Mc Fayden, a Lecturer in Botany, from Glasgow, Scotland working in Jamaica, was appointed Provincial Grand Master. Again, strangely enough, this Scottish Provincial Grand Master was also not a Scottish Mason, but another English Mason; a member of the Sussex Lodge, and although not a Founder Member of the Glenlyon Lodge, he quickly joined the newly-formed Lodge and energetically promoted Scottish Freemasonry.
Bro. Colin Campbell commissioned as Provincial Grand Master.
Bro. James Kay Fingzies commissioned as Provincial Grand Master.
Bro. Samuel Constantine Burke elected, not appointed as Provincial Grand Master.
Lodge Seville, chartered on the 3rd February 1873 as No.530 at St. Ann’s Bay, St. Ann. The Lodge was constituted on the 2nd April 1873, and celebrated its Centenary on the 24th May 1973, a little delayed because of extensive renovations to its Lodge building. On the 29th July 1873, celebrations continued with a Divine Service at the Parish Church, St. Ann’s Bay, the guest preacher being Bro. The Most Rev. Dr. Allan Knight, Archbishop of the West Indies who was the then, District Grand Master of the District Grand Lodge of Guyana. E.C. Two Jamaican Bishops, the Rt. Rev. John Cyril Swaby and the Rt. Rev. Herbert Edmonson, also took part in the service, Which the Governor General, Sir Clifford Campbell attended as also the Custodes of the parishes of St. Ann and Trelawny and many prominent Masons from all over the Island. It was a record level of support by Church and State for the Craft.
On the 28th August 1993, the Lodge celebrated it’s 120th anniversary with the rededication of the newly renovated Temple, which had again undergone extensive refurbishment and improvement; the moving spirit this time, was Bro Derick Arscott Past Master. This Lodge has a Royal Arch Chapter chartered on the 19th June 1970, and a Lodge & Council and Cryptic Council chartered in 1979, named after it .
Lodge Caledonian, chartered on the 4th May 1874 as No. 554 in the Parish of St. Mary and is still working well, in Port Maria, where it meets in it’s own Lodge Hall. The date of its constitution is not certain but the Centenary was celebrated on the 3rd March 1974, at a Divine Service at the St. Mary Parish Church, which was attended by Bro. David Liddel-Granger of Ayton, the Grand Master Mason, during his visit to Jamaica. The guest preacher was Bro. The Rt. Rev. Orland Lindsay, the then Bishop of Antigua, and now Archbishop of the West Indies, his sermon “Come Let Us Build Ourselves A City”, was an acknowledged classic, and has been published throughout the world and in particular , Grand Lodge Year Book 1975. Bro. Herman N. Clare was the Master of the Lodge at that time, having been previously Master in 1955.
Lodge St. John chartered on the 6th May 1878 as No.623 and constituted on the 20th June 1878, is still working very well, though it has had its ups and downs. The prime mover in the formation was Dr. James Ogilvie, a Scotsman, whose Mother Lodge was Lodge St. John No. 20, in Lanarkshire Upper Ward, Scotland. In Jamaica he joined the Glenlyon Lodge No. 346 and then founded a Lodge named after his own Mother Lodge. The other Founders came from Glenlyon Lodge 346, Royal 207 E.C and Sussex 354 E.C. The Lodge celebrated its golden jubilee in 1928 and on the 8th March 1958 the lodge was visited by Bro. The Right Honourable the Earl of Eglinton and Winton, the Grand Master Mason, accompanied by Bro.Dr. Alexander F. Buchan, Grand Secretary. They attended the Installation of Bro. Cecil J Sproul.
The Lodge celebrated its Centenary in 1978, with, a Rededication Ceremony on February 8th 1978 by the District Grand Lodge, followed by the Installation of Bro. Othneil Dumar Howe as Master, during the visit of Bro. David Liddell-Grainger of Ayton, the then, Past Grand Master. Celebrations continued on June 25th 1978 with a Family Thanksgiving Service, the first Divine Service held at the Lodge Hall, McGregor Square, conducted by Bro. Rev. Peter Mullings, the Anglican Rector of Ascension, Mona, and attended by a large Number of brethren and their families.
This Lodge also has a Royal Arch Chapter, which was chartered on the 19th June 1970, and erected on the 19th May 1971, named after it.
On the 5th December 1901, Bro.Dr. James Ogilvie commissioned as Provincial Grand Master. The Scottish Provincial Grand Lodge renamed the District Grand Lodge of Scotland in Jamaica, and Bro.James Ogilvie continued to rule as District Grand Master until 1911.(It is interesting to note that whereas, Provincial Grand Masters are members of Grand Committee, District Grand Masters are not.)
Lodge Imperial Service No.978 was chartered on the 3rd November 1904. The first Master appears to have been installed on the 6th October 1904 a month before the date of the charter but perhaps in Anticipation of it. The Lodge originally had a service connection, with its founders, from the Glenlyon Lodge No. 346 and Moore Keys Lodge No. 2519 E.C. and today, continues to maintain the highest standards.
22nd November 1911, Bro. The Hon. Edmund Archibald H. Haggart commissioned as District Grand Master.
Bro. Adam Roxborough commissioned as District Grand Master. The District, for many years, operated the Roxburgh Memorial Fund in his memory, which provided scholarships at the Secondary School level to relatives of Masons but this has now been amalgamated with other Funds operated by the District Scholarships Awards Committee.
Bro. John Hartley Duff commissioned as District Grand Master.
Bro. Stephen James Streadwick commissioned as District Grand Master.
Bro. Robert Gillies commissioned as District Grand Master.
Bro John James Mills, Past Master of The Glenlyon Lodge No. 346, commissioned as District Grand Master.
Lodge Clarendon Kilwinning No. 1427 Chartered on 6th May 1948 and constituted on 18th October, with Bro. William E. Ashman as the first Master. It has a most interesting history on the acquisition and construction of it’s Lodge Hall at Four Paths, Clarendon; and was the first Lodge in Jamaica ever to be visited by a Grand Master Mason, when on 7th March 1958, the Grand Lodge Deputation headed by Bro. The Rt. Hon., The Earl of Eglinton and Winton, Grand Master Mason accompanied by Bro. Dr. Alexander Buchan, Grand Secretary, laid the Foundation stone for the Lodge Hall at Four Paths. He reported to Grand Lodge, that, “The Master Bro. Ronald Carey, and the Brethren had made most careful preparations, and the proceedings were carried through without a hitch”. Bro. Carey is the Substitute District Grand Master, and a Founder Member of Lodges Wolmers and Middlesex. The building was completed and consecrated on the 18th October 1960.
The Liguanea Lodge No. 1479 was Chartered on 6th November 1952, and constituted on 23rd January 1953, with Bro. Llewellyn, (Leslie ) A. Henriques Snr. As the first Master. This Lodge was slated to meet at Mona, but never met there. Many distinguished Masons have been members of this very popular Lodge.
Lodge Wolmers No.1506 Chartered on 4th August 1955, and constituted on 27th September 1955, with Bro. Eric Vaughn Williams O.B.E., as it’s first Master. The indefatigable moving spirit was Bro. Jackson McLaren Wint and the two recommending Lodges were Glenlyon No. 346 and Imperial Service No. 978. Membership among the founders was composed mainly, but not exclusively, of “Old Boys” of Wolmers Boys School, and numbered, 21 Scottish and 25 English Masons. The Lodge is extremely active, emphasises research, education and charity, and is a subscribing member of the Quatuor Coronati (The Premier Lodge of Research) Study Circle. The Local Secretary for the Study Circle is Bro. Sterling Soares the present Secretary of the Lodge This Lodge now has a Royal Arch Chapter chartered on the 15th December 1995, and Constituted 29th March 1996 named after it; and is shortly to attach a Lodge and Council and Cryptic Council.
Bro. John James Mills’s informative, “OVERSEAS LETTER – Freemasonry in Jamaica”, published in the 1956 Year Book, at pages 68 to 70.
Lodge Semper Fidelis No. 1530 chartered 7th February 1957, and constituted 25th April 1957. The Lodge had over 20 Founders with the first Master being the revered Bro. Oswald St. Elmo Rutherford.
Bro. Alfred Augustus Grant, Past Master of Lodge Imperial Service No. 978, commissioned as District Grand Master.
On the 10th March 1958 Bro. The Right Honourable the Earl of Eglinton and Winton, the Grand Master Mason, attended the District Grand Lodge Communication, accompanied by Dr. Alexander F. Buchan, Grand Secretary. This was the first time the Grand Master Mason attended a District Grand Lodge Communication in Jamaica. The Grand Lodge Deputation had previously laid the foundation stone for the Lodge Hall of Clarendon Kilwinning 1427 on the 7th March 1958 and attended several other Masonic functions in Port Maria and St. Anns Bay.
Lodge Elgin No.1562, chartered on the 6th August 1959, and constituted on the 2nd September 1959. There were 30 Founders and the first Master was Bro. Basil C. Sylvester, one of our Masonic historians, a Past Master of Lodge Seville, and author of the Scottish Masonic History. The Lodge now meets at the Masonic Building Davis Avenue, Montego Bay. This Lodge has a Royal Arch Chapter chartered on the 19th December 1975, and constituted on the 18th September 1976, named after it.
Lodge Mico No.1583, chartered 3rd August 1961 and constituted on 11th November 1961. There were 23 Petitioners, headed by Bro. John James Mills P.D.G.M. The first Master was The Hon. Glenville Hamilton Owen. Membership was drawn mainly, but not exclusively, from “Old Boys”, of Mico Teacher Training College. This was the first Lodge to use “The Modern Ritual” in Jamaica.
Bro. The Right Honourable Lord Bruce,Grand Master Mason, accompanied by Bro Dr. Alexander F. Buchan, Grand Secretary, attended a District Grand Lodge Communication in Jamaica.
Bro. Jackson McLaren Wint, Past Master of The Glenlyon Lodge, commissioned as District Grand Master.
Lodge Middlesex No. 1628, chartered on 3rd November 1966 and constituted on the 6th December of that year. There were 30 Founders, headed by Bro John James Mills, with the first Master being Bro. Lloyd Edward Johnson. The Lodge was constituted at 80 Hanover Street, Kingston, but afterwards met at a building in Spauldings, until it’s new Lodge Building was erected. The Foundation stone was laid on the 7th March 1974 by Bro. David Liddell-Grainger of Ayton, Grand Master Mason.
Lodge St. Michael 1634, Bahamas, was chartered on the 4th May 1967 and constituted on the 9th June 1967. Bro. Dr. Cladius R Walker was installed as the first Master.
In the month of February 1968 Bro. Major Sir Ronald Orr Ewing, Grand Master Mason accompanied by Bro. Dr. Alexander F. Buchan, Grand Secretary, consecrated the new Scottish Temple at Mc Gregor Square and attended the District Grand Lodge Communication, there. He complimented Bro. Jackson McL.Wint, District Grand Master, and also Bros. Stanley N. Bryan and Albert George Chong (all now deceased), for their tremendous work in realising the dream of a Scottish Temple. Bro Robert E. McGregor of the Glenlyon Lodge had donated the land. By 1974 it accommodated all Lodges in the Corporate Area, as the Lodge Hall at 80 Hanover Street had, by then, been sold. This was the first occasion in the Masonic History of the Caribbean that a Grand Master Mason consecrated a Temple Building, in the Caribbean area.
Lodges St. John and Wolmers were the first Lodges to hold meetings in the new Temple, “despite inconvenience experienced by the unfinished state of the new building”.
District Grand Lodge received from Grand Lodge the gift of the Sword Bearer’s ceremonial claymore inscribed “15th February 1968 – from the Grand Lodge of Scotland.” It was dedicated on the 30th November with a presentation by Bro. Clevens L. Stuart P.M. of Lodge Clarendon Kilwinning, who gave an interesting address on the Claymore; “The Scottish basket hilted, single or double bladed broadsword.”
An Electric Organ was also acquired and installed in the Temple through the efforts of Bros. Lindsay Bruce, A A. Phillips, Jacob E. Taylor and Dr. D.B. Hylton.
On the 28th May 1968, Lodges were advised by the District Grand Lodge, that the proper appellation for the District was “The District Grand Lodge of Jamaica Scottish Constitution”, and not, “District Grand Lodge of Scotland in Jamaica”. Concern, however, was expressed that the Banner still bore the name “Provincial Grand Lodge”. It was replaced in 1982.
Bro. Carcel Gilward Grant, Past Master of Lodge Clarendon Kilwinning No. 1427, commissioned as District Grand Master.
Lodge John James Mills 1657 chartered on the 6th August 1970 and constituted on the 21st October 1970,The Lodge had 14 Founders with Bro Frank C. Wittaker, installed as the first Master.
On the 9th February 1978, both the Scottish and English Masons in full regalia marched, from Anderson’s Hardware (where the Lodge usually met), in Linstead, to Vanity Fair, where the Foundation Stone was laid for the new Temple. The land had been donated by Bro. Alexander A Samuels. The Temple was completed and consecrated on the 23rd October 1993 by the District Grand Lodge, and later that evening the then, Master Bro Dermoth G Bingham, one of the principal moving spirits in the completion of the Temple, installed his successor Bro Gladstone Lewars ll ,as Master. The Lodge now meets at its new and spacious accommodation. This is the only Lodge named after a Past Scottish District Grand Master, to date.
Lodge Columbus 1660, chartered 4th February 1971, and constituted on the 6th October that year by Bro. Dr. Alexander F. Buchan, Grand Secretary, at McGregor Square, St Andrew. The Lodge then met at several places in Trelawny such as Duncans, and Discovery Bay, and finally at the Masonic Building, Davis Avenue, Montego Bay. Bro. C. Fitzgerald, was the first Master.
On the 17th February 1972, R.W. Bro. Dr. Aubrey Shervington Jacobs was installed as District Grand Master of the District Grand Lodge of Jamaica, English Constitution, following the death of the incumbent, Bro. Dr. Francis Haddon Bowen.
On the 30th November 1972, District Grand Lodge celebrated its 200th Anniversary, at the Festival of St Andrew, highlighted by a presentation by Bro. Cecil Theo Wint, Hon. DSGW and PM of the Glenlyon Lodge, captioned “A Short History of The District Grand Lodge In Jamaica”. The Chairman of the Bicentennial Committee was the late Bro. Karl Winston Polack, P.D.D.G.M..
Lodge of St. Andrew No. 1684 chartered on the 7th February 1974, and constituted on the 6th March, by Bro. David Liddell-Grainger of Ayton, Grand Master Mason, assisted by Bro. E. Stuart Falconer, Grand Secretary, and a team of District Grand Lodge Office-Bearers. There were 27 Founders, the First Master being Bro. Karl Barrington Solely. This Lodge had many distinguished Founder Members.
The Lodge has a Royal Arch Chapter chartered in 1978, named after it.
Bro. David Liddell-Grainger of Ayton, Grand Master Mason, accompanied by Bro. E. Stuart Falconer, Grand Secretary, attended the District Grand Lodge Communication in Jamaica and among the brethren appointed to Grand rank was R.W. Bro. Dr. Aubrey Shervington Jacobs, District Grand Master of the District Grand Lodge of Jamaica English Constitution, “for his promotion of the closeness and harmony between both Districts”. He was appointed to the high rank of Honorary Junior Grand Warden.
Bro. Lloyd Gilbert Wong, Past Master of Lodge Imperial Service, commissioned as District Grand Master.
The expanded District renamed the District Grand Lodge of Jamaica and the Bahamas- Scottish Constitution.
Bro. Lt. Colonel Frederick William Seal-Coon published, “An Historical Account of Jamaican Freemasonry”. A work of great significance covering in detail every aspect of Jamaican Freemasonry.
Bro. Oswald Leo McDonald, Past Master of the Liguanea Lodge 1479, commissioned as District Grand Master.
Lodge St. David 1741 chartered on the 6th August 1981 and constituted in Nassau, Bahamas.
In the month of February 1982, Bro. Sir James W. McKay, Grand Master Mason, accompanied by Bro E. Stuart Falconer, Grand Secretary, attended the installation of Lodge St. John No.623 when Bro. John Augustus Griffiths, was installed as Master and they subsequently attended the District Grand Lodge communication.
The new Banner of the District Grand Lodge of Jamaica and the Bahamas was dedicated at the District Communication. It replaced the tattered and worn, time immemorial, Provincial Grand Lodge Banner, and was specially designed and fabricated, by Bro. Keith Barrington Jones. The unique Banner combined the Coat of Arms of Jamaica, the Bahamas and the Grand Lodge of Scotland and there are fourteen other Masonic symbols interwoven into the design. An impressive work of art.
Lodge De La Vega No. 1744 chartered on the 6th May 1982, and constituted on the 15th September 1982. It meets at the Masonic Building, Ellis Street, Spanish Town. The first Master was Bro. Louis Montgomery Goldson, with Bro. Dr. Barrington E.A. Miller, being the third Master.
On February 12th 1982, R.W. Bro Dr. Aubrey Shervington Jacobs District Grand Master of the District Grand Lodge of Jamaica English Constitution dedicated the Masonic Building at 45-47 Barbados Avenue, New Kingston. All urban Lodges under the English and Irish Constitutions, at that time, were thereafter accommodated there.
Lodge St. Anne’s chartered on the 3rd May 1984, and constituted 2nd March 1985, in Nassau, Bahamas.
Bro. Justice Rudyard Owen Cuthbert White, Past Master of the Glenlyon Lodge No. 346, commissioned as District Grand Master.
On the 15th December 1984, Bro. J. M. Marcus Humphrey of Dinette, Grand Master Mason, accompanied by Bro E. Stuart Falconer, Grand Secretary, attended the District Grand Lodge communication and installed Bro. Justice Rudyard Owen Cuthbert White as District Grand Master.
Subsequently informal discussions commenced between the District Grand Lodge and the Scottish Craft Lodges in the Bahamas for the Erection of a District Grand Lodge of the Bahamas.
Lodge St Andrew No. 1756, chartered on the 2nd May 1985, constituted 2nd November 1985, and met at Freeport, Bahamas.
On the 18th September 1986, Bro Justice Rudyard O. C. White, District Grand Master, accompanied by Bro. Neville L. Gibbs District Grand Secretary headed a large deputation at the very impressive 250th Anniversary Celebration and Re-dedication of the Grand Lodge of Scotland at Islington, near Edinburgh.
In the month of February 1987 Bro. J. M. Marcus Humphrey of Dinette, Grand Master Mason, accompanied by Bro. Arthur O. Hazel, Grand Secretary, attended the District Grand Lodge Communication in Jamaica.
Bro. Prof. The Hon. Hugh Hasting Wynter, Past Master of Lodge Semper Fidelis, commissioned as District Grand Master. Shortly, thereafter, Grand Lodge approved the Petition for the erection of the District Grand Lodge of the Bahamas.
On the 16th March 1991,Bro Brigadier Sir Gregor MacGregor of MacGregor, accompanied by Bro. Arthur O. Hazel, Grand Secretary, attended the District Gra nd Lodge Communication held in Jamaica, after which they travelled to the Bahamas, having attended the Installation meeting of the Lodge of St. Andrew No.1684, the day before, when Bro. Victor E. Nugent was installed as Master.
On the 20th March 1991, Bro. Brigadier Sir Gregor MacGregor of MacGregor accompanied by Bro. Arthur O. Hazel, Grand Secretary, assisted by a strong Deputation from the District Grand Lodge of Jamaica headed by Bro. Prof. Hugh H. Wynter, constituted and erected the District Grand Lodge of the Bahamas and installed Bro. Roderick Eugene Inniss as the first District Grand Master.
Thereafter the District Grand Lodge was renamed “The District Grand Lodge of Jamaica” and dropped the appendant “and The Bahamas, Scottish Constitution”, while the English District was renamed, “The District Grand Lodge of Jamaica and the Cayman Islands”. The Banner of the District Grand Lodge was changed.
On the 25th of July 1992 Bro Afeef Assad Lazarus was installed by Dr. Bro. Aubrey Shervinton Jacobs as District Grand Master of the District Grand Lodge of Jamaica and the Cayman Islands with authority over 21 Lodges. The number has now been increased to 23.
On the 1st February 1995, Bro. Dr. Barrington Earl Anthony Miller, Past Master of Lodge Clarendon Kilwinning No. 1427, Lodge De La Vega No. 1744 and the Francis Haddon Bowen Lodge No.9238 E.C., was commissioned and commenced his term as District Grand Master. He was later installed in the month of May succeeding Bro. Prof. The Hon. Hugh H. Wynter O.J., C.D., J.P.
On the 4th February 1995, The Provincial Grand Lodge of Jamaica, Irish Constitution, was constituted, by Most Worshipful Bro. Darwin H. Templeton C.B.E. Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Ireland, who also installed R.W. Bro. James Seivright Moss-Solomon as the first Provincial Grand Master with authority over 5 Craft Lodges. All three Ancient Constitutions then had Deputations of District/ Provincial Grand Lodges working in the Island. The Provincial Grand Lodge now serves 6 Craft Lodges.
R.W. Bro. Dr. Aubrey Shervington Jacobs, Past District Grand Master, published his book “JACOBS’ LADDER- One Man’s Climb in Freemasonry”, an excellent and well-received publication.
On the 19th February 1997 Bro. The Right Honourable, The Lord Burton, Grand Master Mason, accompanied by Bro. C. Martin Mc Gibbon, Grand Secretary, attended the District Grand Lodge Communication in Jamaica and went on to attend the Installation meeting of Lodge Clarendon Kilwinning where Bro. Christopher Robert George Parcells was installed as the Master .The Grand Lodge Deputation was subsequently entertained by the Brethren in the Montego Bay area.
On the 7 August 1997, Bro. Dr. Barrington E.A. Miller, District Grand Master accompanied by Bro. Morris A Smith, District Grand Secretary, headed a large Visitation/ Deputation of Jamaican Freemasons, to the Quarterly Communication of the Grand Lodge of Scotland where they enjoyed a magnificent reception.
There are now 16 Lodges in the District. A new Lodge, the Jackson Mc L Wint Lodge, is soon to be chartered. It will meet at McGregor Square.
It is also a fitting to record at this time, that at the District Grand Lodge Communication, held on August 27th 1997, approval was granted for the formation of two new Lodges with the names Lodge of Portmore, to meet in Portmore, St Catherine, and Lodge of Stony Hill to meet at Stony Hill, St. Andrew. It is interesting to note that St. John’s Royal Lodge E.C., constituted in 1815, and held in the York Light Infantry Volunteers, met at Stony Hill, St. Andrew in 1816, however, it disappeared without a trace! Fate unknown!
As we look back on our 225th Anniversary, let our Ancient and Honourable Society continue its impressive and respected Masonic heritage in our Country both in the present and for the future.
Lodge Jackson McLaren Wint No. 1818, chartered on , 1998, constituted , 1999 and met at McGregor Square, St. Andrew, Jamaica.
On the 1st February, 2000, Bro. Dr. Barrington Earl Anthony Miller, District Grand Master, was commissioned and commenced his second term as District Grand Master.
Bro. Dr. Barrington E.A. Miller died, leaving his widow Elaine and two sons. Bro. Frank Constantine Mitchell as Depute District Grand Master headed the District until he was subsequently elected District Grand Master.
On the 1st February, 2002, Bro. Frank Constantine Mitchell, Past Master of Lodge Imperial Service No. 978, was commissioned as District Grand Master and commenced his term as District Grand Master. He was later installed in the month of April.
Lodge Stony Hill No. 1820, chartered in on , 2002, constituted ,2002 and met at McGregor Square, St. Andrew, Jamaica.
Lodge Barrington Miller No. 1829, chartered on XXXXXXXXXXX, constituted xxxxxxxxxx, and met at Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica.
Bro. Frank Constantine Mitchell died, leaving his widow Ivy, son and daughter. Bro. Col. Lemuel Augustus Lindo as Depute District Grand Master headed the District until January 2007, when Bro. Lloyd Rudolph Moore received his commission as District Grand Master.
On the 1st February, 2007, Bro. Lloyd Rudolph Moore, Past Master of Lodge Saint John No. 623, was commissioned as District Grand Master and commenced his term as District Grand Master. He was later installed on 16th February, by by a team led by the Grand Master Mason, Sir Archibald Donald Orr Ewing 6th Bart., M.A, Grand Secretary David M. Begg and Grand Director of Ceremonies W. Ramsay McGhee.
Lodge Portmore No. 1834, was erected on xx, April, 2008. The Lodge Meeting Hall was consecrated in May, 2008 at Ham Stables, Portmore St. Catherine.
The number of Daughter Lodges increased to 20, with Lodges meeting in all but 4 of Jamaica’s 14 parishes.
The district for administrative purposes only was formally split into two divisions. Division I, for Lodges meeting outside of Kingston and St. Andrew and Division II, for those Lodges meeting within Kingston and St. Andrew and Portmore.
Bro. Lloyd R. Moore, Distict Grand Master, led a deputation to Grand Lodge which stayed on in Scotland for some 10 days to visit Sister Lodges.
The District Grand Lodge launched its website.